hydros.biz Lowrider hydraulics information
April 29, 2024, 02:23:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Forum restoration complete! Bug hunt in progress!  Smiley

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Transfering battery weight  (Read 2034 times)
Hydros
Administrator
Expert Member

View Profile
« on: June 22, 2004, 02:38:26 AM »

As the car is hopping, the battery rack swings from the rear of the trunk behind the axle to the front of the trunk, forward of the axle.

Ever seen guys pushing on a cars rear bumper as it's hopping?  This helps to get the nose up.

The batteries are not needed (IMO) behind the axle as the car is dumping, so why not transfer the weight of the batteries to the front of the axle as the car is dumping. Just as the nose is mid-way, position the batteries to move to the rear of the axle to help bring the nose up.

MORE LATER...
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 04:00:36 AM by Hydros » Logged

Was this information helpful?
What information would you like to see?
Post your comments, questions and suggestions here.

Send email to: tjjjc2 @ yahoo. com (use no spaces)
Crystal Cutlass
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2004, 12:41:23 AM »

Wouldn't the 'swinging' battery rack just smack straight into the underside of the truck lid, once you hopped to any decent height?

:blink: You could do it in a truck with an open bed I guess, or just take the truck lid off!
Hydros
Administrator
Expert Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2004, 12:55:02 AM »

Wouldn't the 'swinging' battery rack just smack straight into the underside of the truck lid, once you hopped to any decent height?

:blink: You could do it in a truck with an open bed I guess, or just take the truck lid off!
Err... Hmm, Well not really swinging. More like sliding or lifting up, like on one end of a see-saw.

Say you place a five pound weight on a scale and it reads five pounds, but then drop that same weight a foot above the scale, what happens to the readings, Like "bam" It don't weight any more, but there is that force.

OK guys, your turn for some wild ideas...

Hydros
Administrator
Expert Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2004, 01:10:03 AM »

It looks like this could be made. But it looks like it would take some reinforcing.

The pivot point could/should be located just in front of the rear wheels. Then you could use smaller cylinders supported (call these cylinders SUPPORT CYLINDERS) on the frame (and still in front of the rear wheels). As the batteries are lifted, the weight of the batteries is transferred to just in front of the rear wheels.

As it's hopping, and as the nose is starting to get about 90% of the way up, you start to lower the SUPPORT CYLINDERS. At say 99% you drop the batteries down full force.  

You would need to drop the batteries on some type of brackets that have been bolted/welded to the frame.

I think the SUPPORT CYLINDERS should be the 2 way type and a 4-way dump valve would need to be used.

Now if this is not LRM legal, it could be, you would use mercury switches to activate the dump valve to use some of the pump pressure. Remember, as the front wheels are off the ground you can use the pump pressure without robbing hopping pressure.

Hydros
Administrator
Expert Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2004, 12:57:19 PM »

Just kicking it around idea.

You know, as the batteries slam down on rear frame, That slaming force could be harnessed. Say the brackets are not solid, but cylinders that tranfer some of that slamming force to reuse at some later point while hopping.

You could tranfer that force to accumulators or force fluid into the tank.

Crystal Cutlass
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2004, 09:32:28 AM »

You really want batteries bouncing up and down around in your trunk, however so controlled?

How about this...

Mount a battery rack on a pair of sliding rails, controlled by a pair of hydraulic rams, mounted horizontally at the rear of the trunk and facing the front.

With the car at rest, the rams are extended, keeping the rack more or less over the rear wheels. When you start to hop, the dumps for the rack kick in, allowing the sliding rack to 'roll' to the rear of the trunk, possibly onto some sort of buffers to provide your 'hitting' force, this will provide the transfer of weight of the batteries further back from the pivot point.

As the car begins to fall from the peak of the hop, the rams are 'energised' forcing the sliding rack back to over the rear wheels, or perhaps even further forward to provide extra weight for 'downward' force, putting more energy into the hopping coils? A little more controlled than 'jumping' battery racks.

Would that work?
Hydros
Administrator
Expert Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2004, 08:37:51 PM »

You really want batteries bouncing up and down around in your trunk, however so controlled?

How about this...

Mount a battery rack on a pair of sliding rails, controlled by a pair of hydraulic rams, mounted horizontally at the rear of the trunk and facing the front.

With the car at rest, the rams are extended, keeping the rack more or less over the rear wheels. When you start to hop, the dumps for the rack kick in, allowing the sliding rack to 'roll' to the rear of the trunk, possibly onto some sort of buffers to provide your 'hitting' force, this will provide the transfer of weight of the batteries further back from the pivot point.

As the car begins to fall from the peak of the hop, the rams are 'energised' forcing the sliding rack back to over the rear wheels, or perhaps even further forward to provide extra weight for 'downward' force, putting more energy into the hopping coils? A little more controlled than 'jumping' battery racks.

Would that work?
Hot Damn, Good thinking Crystal Cutlass,

This is how it's done, one guy thinks of some off the wall wild idea and others add to it or change it.  The before long its mas produced.

Yes it does appear to be an idea too.

Any others??

I just got another one, about using two ID cylinders with a coupling.

I'll post later.

Crystal Cutlass
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2004, 09:23:17 AM »

I'll take that as a compliment, seeing as your so versed in hydraulics, and I still know shit!!!

I dont even have a real clue how a basic system work, or a pump, and I certainly wouldn't know where to start putting a system together.

I've only had one juiced ride, and that system was simply taken out of one car and put in mine!!!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: