hydros.biz Lowrider hydraulics information
April 29, 2024, 06:21:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Forum restoration complete! Bug hunt in progress!  Smiley

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Aircraft Hydro install  (Read 3527 times)
« on: September 14, 2004, 09:19:03 AM »

What's up Tony?

I have a question for you because I think your probally the only one who could answer this.

Ok I have a friend who has a 94 fleetwood. we want to do somthing different with the hydraulics. I've hunted pown some pesco pumps and some Adel " side winder " pumps.

My question to you is what is a better pump to use for this caddy? I plan on using one pump for the front and one for the rear.

Also when I put this in am I going to need larger diameter cylinders like the ones Hugh Stillman used to make to lift the caddy? or can I use standard " off the shelf cylinders " from a hydro shop?

Hydros
Administrator
Expert Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2004, 11:50:52 AM »

Ok here it is, it depends on what the PSI rating and GPM of the pump, and HP of the motor.

If I have my facts straight, some aircraft power packs (not just the pumps, but the pump and motor together) can put out up to 3,000 PSI at 2 GPM at around 2 HP. It appears that most piston pump heads are the best.

I don't know what your power packs put out, having the specs might help.

I am not 100% clear on "Why" larger size diameter cylinders were used. was it because the pump could not lift the car, or do the pump heads blow?

Regarding larger size diameter cylinders, I used to use 1.25" cylinders called "Chrome Jets" to the front of my 71 Monte Carlo. Using four batteries, stock coils at 5 turns, 48 volts, I could hop 4" with a Pesco. I don't remember the model number of the power pack, but it was bigger than the 777 and maybe bigger than the 280 Pescos. (we got then for $45.00 at Pallies).

Anyways, I have come across this question many times before, I keep thinking that the pumps these days are worn out and not as newer as the ones I used to use, this is why some cars need the larger diameter cylinders, because the pumps are too worn, or the relief valve needs to be adjusted correctly, or maybe even tweaked.

Hmm... I just remembered I did blow a pump head, but I fixed that and the pump still worked, not as good, but maybe I only got 3" after that. So maybe if I used larger diameter cylinders, or used an external relief valve, the pumps heads would have lasted?

But anyways, Pro-Hopper does make a larger cylinder, maybe these might work rather than getting larger aircraft cylinders or special made cylinders.

When I get the chance, I'll plumb different Pescos and Stratopower power packs to my Regal and post the updates on www.squaredump.com as I have been wanting to do this for some time.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2004, 10:39:54 PM by Hydros » Logged

Was this information helpful?
What information would you like to see?
Post your comments, questions and suggestions here.

Send email to: tjjjc2 @ yahoo. com (use no spaces)
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2004, 12:12:25 PM »

Thanks Tony,

Yeah I saw Ted Wells talking about the aircraft pumps in a video sayin they couldn't use skinny cylinders..

So do you perfer Pesco pump?

I think I might be able to get the Adel pumps for about 200 each.. I think that's a good deal. I'll find out the model numbers and let you know so you can maybe cross reference them and If they are good we'll get them and get you some pictures..
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2004, 06:23:52 AM »

bump?
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2004, 08:36:06 PM »

Sorry again, I really got to get some real free time.

Yes I do prefer the Pesco, it seems these are plentyful and cost less than the Adels/Stratopowers. I never used the others anyways. Pesco was my first :wub:

I also would not use skinnys.

YEAH on the pictures and models numbers and any other specs. THANKS!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2004, 08:37:06 PM by Hydros » Logged
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2004, 09:46:20 PM »

cool thing.. I will get some pics. Do you thing huge cylinders like showtime's torpedo cylinders will work? :blink:

Sorry, I edited instead of replying. See below:[/size]
« Last Edit: September 24, 2004, 03:41:50 PM by Hydros » Logged
Hydros
Administrator
Expert Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2004, 03:40:59 PM »

Hey I never seen those, I would say if they are 1.25" ID, they should work on some of the Pescos. 1.5" and I think any Pesco rated 1000 PSI and over, would work.

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2004, 11:22:57 AM »

Yeah check out the showtime torpedo cylinders on the showtimehydraulics site they have a 2 inch diameter.. I'm pretty sure... Wink

The pescos I'm looking at are rated for 1650, 1500 and 1400 PSI the Adel sidewinder is rated at 1650 PSI but it has mammoth 1inch ports...  :huh:  
Hydros
Administrator
Expert Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2004, 01:25:20 PM »

On the pumps you have, look for the highest HP and GPM. All the pressures are good, just which would be the fastest. Try to get the average highest numbers for the pump you will use. If you want, I can try to help on this.

Looking at the Showtime cylinder at the website, it looks they are describing the OD (outside diameter) and not the ID (inside diameter). The ID is the measurement to look for.

I have sent Showtime an email asking what the ID is.

I am not indorsing these cylinders in anyway. This is just a copy and paste from the Showtime website to show you the ad.

Torpedo
This new design will change the game as we know it. A 3/4" port and 2" diameter make this a flawless cylinder. We guarantee the weld from cracking, and the shaft from breaking.
(6", 3/4 port, pair)    $136.00
(8", 3/4 port, pair)    $144.00
(10", 3/4 port, pair)    $152.00
(12", 3/4 port, pair)    $160.00

* t_cylinder_torpedo.jpg (3.18 KB, 150x43 - viewed 288 times.)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 10:53:40 PM by Hydros » Logged

Tony
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2004, 03:34:15 PM »

From Showtime: the I.D. is 1.5"
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2004, 08:18:45 AM »

sweet.. SO that should work no problem then
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: