hydros.biz Lowrider hydraulics information
May 06, 2024, 06:19:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Forum restoration complete! Bug hunt in progress!  Smiley

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to install front coil springs  (Read 2111 times)
Hydros
Administrator
Expert Member

View Profile
« on: April 28, 2004, 02:13:22 AM »

This article will be continued, it's late but I want to get a start on it. I'm going to post some PICs to, to help out. [/size]

Tools needed:
Safety glasses or face shield
Good size floor jack
jack stand
big hammer
1/8th" cotter pins
assorted wrenches 3/4 to 15/16th"

First off , loosed lug nuts to both wheels;

jack up one side only until wheel is about 5" from ground.

Put jack stand (safety stand) under frame, just behind wheel well under flat part of frame.

Lower floor jack and remove lugs nuts and tire.

Now put the floor jack under spring perch. (the part where the coil sits in. The floor jack should be facing inward from the side.

jack up lower a-arm a few inches, turn the spindal (where the wheel sits on), so you can get at and remove the cotter pin from the lower ball joint. Then loosen the ball joint stud nut about four turns.

Now lower the jack until the lower a-arm hangs.

NOW PUT THE SAFETY GLASSES ON. Get a large hammer and hit lower spindal where the ball joint stud comes up through. DO NOT hit the ball joint or stud in any way.

The coil spring will help you to loosen the spindal from the stud. You will hear a loud pop or bang when the spindal had loosened.

Now raise the floor jack again, just a little so you can loosen that lower ball joint nut and remove it. If you bring the jack up too far you will fit the spindal and ball joint stud together again and you will need to start over. (step ##)  You should be able to spin the nut off with your figures.  

Once the nut is off, then lower the floor jack. The a-arm will swing down to the ground and the coil will be stuck in the spring perch. Get some rope, or chain and loosly wrap the coil. You can use a bar, but I like push down with my foot until the coil pops out.  

To be continued: After some spell checking and other editing...
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 11:29:47 PM by Hydros » Logged

Was this information helpful?
What information would you like to see?
Post your comments, questions and suggestions here.

Send email to: tjjjc2 @ yahoo. com (use no spaces)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: