hydros.biz Lowrider hydraulics information
May 05, 2024, 11:24:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Forum restoration complete! Bug hunt in progress!  Smiley

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Charging with fast charger  (Read 3345 times)
Hydros
Administrator
Expert Member

View Profile
« on: March 14, 2004, 04:54:40 PM »

On Layitlow.com I'm known as Hydros. This is a copy, edit and paste of one of my posts.

This is how I charge batteries, this depends onb the age of the batteries, new ones you can charge faster. Old batteries, charge slower.  

This post is for the lead acid type made for automobiles, all of the same type and age. Deep cycle may or may not be the same. With automotive type batteries, you never want to fully discharge them. Keeping them up on a charge is much better for longer life. If you want to fully discharge on a regular basis, use deep cycle batteries.

I like to charge them all at the same time to insure they have an even charge, remember, this is if all your batteries are the same.  

Using a 12 volt fast charger, hook all the batteries positive to positive, negative to negative. Set the charger to max (approx 50 amps), charge them until you just start to see the bubbles start, then lower the charger to the next lower setting, again checking for when the bubbles start. Keep doing this until you reach the lowest setting on the charger.

End with the charger on low to then get them fully charged, meaning yes there will be lots of bubbles and some heat, but no damage. -NEVER fast charge them until the cases get warm. Slow is the best way to go, but the way I do it hurries things up. If one battery has move bubbles than the others, remove cables and keep charging.

I used to rotate the batteries, just like your tires. The first and last batteries seem to get the most wear and tear. You might want to move them inward each time. -About every 4-6 chargings is suggested.

Now I just move the cables around instead of moving the batteries.

There is an opinion that the final moments of charging should be on high, to get the batteries fully charged. Maybe so, this is when you really need to look for the bubbles, to avoid damaging your batteries.

If your batteries are real dead and have been for awhile, it's best to charge slow at first, 2 AMPS, this may go on for days, but is the best way to save battery that is sulfated. Meaning the plates have a coating on them. I like to watch the amp meter as I'm charging, as the amps go down.  I then bring up the charging rate, watch for bubbles and heat, then repeat. I may never need to go over 10 amps.

Happy Hopping
« Last Edit: March 21, 2007, 02:27:41 PM by Hydros » Logged

Was this information helpful?
What information would you like to see?
Post your comments, questions and suggestions here.

Send email to: tjjjc2 @ yahoo. com (use no spaces)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: