hydros.biz Lowrider hydraulics information
May 06, 2024, 11:56:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Forum restoration complete! Bug hunt in progress!  Smiley

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Direct swap from 1.5"OD cylinders to 2"OD cylinders.  (Read 1808 times)
87gbody
Visionaries

View Profile
« on: December 15, 2012, 11:52:39 PM »

Have you ever swapped to 2"OD(or anything bigger than 1.5"OD") without changing anything else? What were the results?
87gbody
Visionaries

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 12:00:48 AM »

Old post on LIL

Quote from: AndrewH;12979725
they used to call 1.5" OD casings Midis, 1.625" were Fats, and 2" were super fats or torpedos. the OD doesnt really mean shit though, but the wall thicknesses were typically the same, and its easier to measure the moutside than the inside I suppose.. Skinnies are what I always called bike cylinders, or reverse flows were sometimes skinny like that.

Compairing them, you could run a #5 marzocchi to a pair of skinnies in a SLA front end off any voltage you wanted, and it would work, but a #11 gear would have trouble with anything under 72 volts.

any gear will lift a 'torpedo' in the front, so you might as well go with a big one on high voltage for plenty of speed.

For the rear, axle mounted cylinders, no point in using a big bore, use the smallest you can get away with (strength of the shaft being the only issue) and a 11 or 13 gear, depending on how much weight you have back there. With telescopic cylinders, you're just out of luck, your motors spinning itself into a frenzy, then all the sudden your bumper flings into the air when the smaller bore starts filling.

You see alot of people on here talking about pressure system vs volume system for hopping, and I really cant differentiate between the 2 unless your changing cylinder bore or placement.
Hydros
Administrator
Expert Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 02:07:53 AM »

Have you ever swapped to 2"OD(or anything bigger than 1.5"OD") without changing anything else? What were the results?

I never did, just guessing is would be almost twice as slow. AndrewH is good.

Also, man 2" cutouts?  If a Bendix is what they want to run, then go with it.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 06:50:02 AM by Hydros » Logged

Was this information helpful?
What information would you like to see?
Post your comments, questions and suggestions here.

Send email to: tjjjc2 @ yahoo. com (use no spaces)
87gbody
Visionaries

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 12:05:03 PM »

I'm running double to the front with #11s. I haven't had a chance to run it full power yet, but I think I should have went with #7's or #9's. Would fatter cylinders do the same thing as changing to a higher PSI/lower vol. gear?
Hydros
Administrator
Expert Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012, 03:35:00 PM »

I'm running double to the front with #11s. I haven't had a chance to run it full power yet, but I think I should have went with #7's or #9's. Would fatter cylinders do the same thing as changing to a higher PSI/lower vol. gear?

well on this one i do not know, but i think first you could try two different gears at the same time, one for each pump, just to see what happens. not too sure on the volts needed for each pump.

what is "FULL POWER" ?

Would fatter cylinders do the same thing as changing to a higher PSI/lower vol. gear? i think this is an valid thought.

87gbody
Visionaries

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2012, 05:16:37 PM »

I tried them both on a single bank of 48v, just 4 batts in the trunk. I was sitting inside the car, but it felt the same as single on 48v. I built the rack for 10 batteries but only have 9, need to pick up one more. the plan is 2 banks of 60v.

I thought about the 2 different gears, but I can't do it currently because each side has a separate line. I think that one small gear and one big gear would be the same as 2 medium size gears, does that make sense?
87gbody
Visionaries

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2012, 05:37:07 PM »

I was looking the posts about your car, did you ever reach the 60" goal?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 06:50:10 PM by Hydros » Logged
Hydros
Administrator
Expert Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2012, 06:50:20 PM »

I was looking the posts about your car, did you ever reach the 60" goal?

No. Smiley

busted an a-arm, then got better coils, never installed, then batteries went dead.
Then bla bla bla. But now I have 4 new batterys and will never install more than six, the days of 10 batteries are gone, all records have been broken. (well, most, IMO)

said many times in the past, lets start using less volts to get better performance.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 09:25:54 PM by Hydros » Logged

87gbody
Visionaries

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2012, 10:06:43 PM »

I agree. I had a single pump 6 battery setup for years. I could never get more than about 15",  so I decided to take the easy route and put a ton of equipment in the trunk. This was 2 years ago, just starting to have some time to finish it up. If I can't get it to do what I want, then I'm gonna switch to #7s.

My ideal setup would be 4-6 batteries, ride decent, partial wrap, and get about 24"-30". Mufasa is doing it, it's definitely possible. All this talk about efficiency is making me want to switch to a single bladder or piston.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: