hydros.biz Lowrider hydraulics information
May 07, 2024, 01:22:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Forum restoration complete! Bug hunt in progress!  Smiley

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Old School Trick  (Read 3529 times)
misterouija

View Profile WWW
« on: May 10, 2005, 09:41:45 AM »

Here is a cylinder we put together for one of our club cars. The shaft is a 8 inch shaft and we put it in a 10 inch case..

I guy who owns a shop near me told me about this trick a long time ago and I figured we'd try it out... We did notice a improvement...

* CylinderShaftSwap_2.jpg (23.85 KB, 512x234 - viewed 238 times.)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 12:16:29 AM by Hydros » Logged

" Mister Ouija "
1986 Caprice Classic Brougham

Eternal Rollerz C.C.
President MA Chapter

Visit us on the web
Eternal Rollerz C.C.

Aircraft Stuff:
My Aircraft Hydraulics Collection
$$ WTB - Buying Aircraft Valves $$
doom
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2005, 09:18:31 PM »

what kind of improvements??
Hydros
Administrator
Expert Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2005, 12:19:48 PM »

I'm not really sure why this appears to work better, maybe current hoppers are using this idea too.

Has anyone seen the cylinders called" COPPERS"  These were a strange looking type. The head of the rod had four holes drilled into it. How these things worked and held pressure is over my head. I seen a guy at Pally's hop on these back in the 70's

I took one to a machine shop to have a sleeve remade. It appears that the sleeve was the key to making these work.

I'm still to this day wondering how these even worked. Picture it, the head of the rod (that has the o-ring slots) is drilled straight through from the top of the head, all the way out to the bottom where the rod is.  
« Last Edit: July 03, 2005, 12:27:29 PM by Hydros » Logged

Was this information helpful?
What information would you like to see?
Post your comments, questions and suggestions here.

Send email to: tjjjc2 @ yahoo. com (use no spaces)
Mister Ouija ( Guest )
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2005, 01:49:46 PM »

what kind of improvements??
Quicker response it seems... = better hop...
Mister Ouija ( Guest )
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2005, 01:53:49 PM »

I'm not really sure why this appears to work better, maybe current hoppers are using this idea too.

Has anyone seen the cylinders called" COPPERS"  These were a strange looking type. The head of the rod had four holes drilled into it. How these things worked and held pressure is over my head. I seen a guy at Pally's hop on these back in the 70's

I took one to a machine shop to have a sleeve remade. It appears that the sleeve was the key to making these work.

I'm still to this day wondering how these even worked. Picture it, the head of the rod (that has the o-ring slots) is drilled straight through from the top of the head, all the way out to the bottom where the rod is.
From what I was told it improves the response because there is already a good quanity of oil sitting in the cylinder, that allows it to fill quickly

From what I've seen from my friend's lincoln it made a difference...

I'm in the process of doing a little experiment with this type of setup myself in my caprice so I'll keep you guys posted and some pictures....
Mister Ouija ( Guest )
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2005, 01:55:05 PM »

Tony I never seen these cylinders you are talking about... I wish you had some pics...
dogbone

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2012, 06:45:21 AM »

I kno, old post, and maybe there was a second thought on it.
But wouldnt this be the same as putting an extension on the fitting or using a longer hose? = does nothin?
Cant seem to wrap my head around how this trick can improve on speed but im happy to be taught.
Hydros
Administrator
Expert Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2012, 06:38:53 PM »

Tony I never seen these cylinders you are talking about... I wish you had some pics...

http://www.layitlow.com/forums/13-hydraulics/47503-anyone-ever-heard-cylinders-called-coppers.html

images are from edmunds costoms hyd on layitlow.com

* coppers case and shaft- edmunds-costom-hydrfaulics.jpg (8.53 KB, 256x192 - viewed 229 times.)

* coppers head- edmunds-costom-hydrfaulics.jpg (6.44 KB, 256x192 - viewed 239 times.)

* coppers shaft- edmunds-costom-hydrfaulics.jpg (8.54 KB, 256x192 - viewed 218 times.)
« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 07:16:40 PM by Hydros » Logged

87gbody
Visionaries

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2012, 09:09:18 PM »

I kno, old post, and maybe there was a second thought on it.
But wouldnt this be the same as putting an extension on the fitting or using a longer hose? = does nothin?
Cant seem to wrap my head around how this trick can improve on speed but im happy to be taught.

Same here.  Huh
Hydros
Administrator
Expert Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2012, 10:32:51 PM »

Here is my take on using a longer cylinder with a shorter shaft...

Let's see....

First I never could understand why two #6 hoses would be used to hop, when #8 would cause less restriction.
But as I look at it, it might be the way the fluid shoots into the cylinder. Say you take a 3,000 PSI power washer and spray say 1/2 cup of water at some leaves. (keeping in mind, the air around the water spraying out is also blasted).  Those leaves scatter all over the place and fast. But, using 1/2 cup from a water hose is like nothing. (I think the gear pump also takes up any slack in pressure bleed-by, or bleed off).

back to those cylinders, I may also depend on hose size, nope, can't see it, because, the cylinder rod or stroke or shaft, is IMO, never really bottomed up against the top part of the casing. meaning there is already a space in there filled with fluid. But this also depending on the type of cups and donuts used.

still can't see it.

another round of thoughts...  maybe that area has less air bubbles? 

still can't see it.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 10:41:17 PM by Hydros » Logged

dogbone

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2012, 08:30:02 AM »

LOL
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: