hydros.biz Lowrider hydraulics information
May 02, 2024, 05:15:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Forum restoration complete! Bug hunt in progress!  Smiley

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Rotating batteries  (Read 6084 times)
Hydros
Administrator
Expert Member

View Profile
« on: March 12, 2004, 03:28:38 AM »

Another thing you want to do is to rotate your batteries.  Seems the first and last battery tend to become weaker in time.  I suggest to move the outer batteries toward the center, maybe like every 10th charge.

Was this information helpful?
What information would you like to see?
Post your comments, questions and suggestions here.

Send email to: tjjjc2 @ yahoo. com (use no spaces)
LowriderUK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2004, 08:13:18 AM »

Another thing you want to do is to rotate your batteries.  Seems the first and last battery tend to become weaker in time.  I suggest to move the outer batteries toward the center, maybe like every 10th charge.
OK, but in the 'Charging using a fast charger' thread you state...

"I used to rotate the batteries, just like your tires. The first and last batteries seem to get the most wear and tear. You might want to move them inward each time. -About every 4-6 chargings is suggested."

So which is it, around 4-6 chargings, or 10 chargings?  :unsure:  

I'm a hydro newbie...PLEASE DONT LAUGH!!![/size]

1979 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme....jus' crying out for 'The Treatment'!
Shame I'm a 13 hour flight away from my garage.....THAT SUCKS![/b]
[/font]

Hydros
Administrator
Expert Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2004, 09:12:24 PM »

Another thing you want to do is to rotate your batteries.  Seems the first and last battery tend to become weaker in time.  I suggest to move the outer batteries toward the center, maybe like every 10th charge.
OK, but in the 'Charging using a fast charger' thread you state...

"I used to rotate the batteries, just like your tires. The first and last batteries seem to get the most wear and tear. You might want to move them inward each time. -About every 4-6 chargings is suggested."

So which is it, around 4-6 chargings, or 10 chargings?  :unsure:
Good one LowriderUK, !!!

It's been about 21 years since I had hydros, and I at times, forget all the details.

I would not go longer than 10 chargings, and it becomes a hassle rotating them too often. So let's say (for now, at least). never more than 10, and usually after 4.

But if you always fast charge, rotating them more often is suggested, and with slow charges, you can wait a bit longer.

It's nice to know someone is really reading my posts.

You know I even forgot about rotating my batteries on the car I have now. Old age?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2004, 09:14:37 PM by Hydros » Logged

LowriderUK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2004, 10:09:36 PM »

Good one LowriderUK, !!!

It's been about 21 years since I had hydros, and I at times, forget all the details.

I would not go longer than 10 chargings, and it becomes a hassle rotating them too often. So let's say (for now, at least). never more than 10, and usually after 4.

But if you always fast charge, rotating them more often is suggested, and with slow charges, you can wait a bit longer.

It's nice to know someone is really reading my posts.

You know I even forgot about rotating my batteries on the car I have now. Old age?
It's all good!

Not got a hydro system at the moment, but will probably have 8 batts in two banks of four.

So every 6 charges or so, swap batt number 1 and 4 in each bank with batts 2 and 3 in each bank, right?

Incidentally, if its been 21 years since you had hydros, what are you rolling in now that would have more than two batteries to require rotating 'em?  B)

Love this new site, although its a bit like walking around a huge shopping mall ofter closing hours, there no-one about...... hello.....HELLOOO!?!  Cheesy  

[/font]

Hydros
Administrator
Expert Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2004, 09:57:33 PM »

It's all good!

Not got a hydro system at the moment, but will probably have 8 batts in two banks of four.

So every 6 charges or so, swap batt number 1 and 4 in each bank with batts 2 and 3 in each bank, right?

Incidentally, if its been 21 years since you had hydros, what are you rolling in now that would have more than two batteries to require rotating 'em?  B)

Love this new site, although its a bit like walking around a huge shopping mall ofter closing hours, there no-one about...... hello.....HELLOOO!?!  Cheesy
Ahh Good question, I've got a 85 Regal. Front and back, two pumps, being made for hopping only. I have 8 batteries now, and plan to have a total of 12.  I just got the car in November.

As for your battery set up, hmm... you might want to consider setting them up in parallel and series.

Like this: all eight laid out, and each two batteries are wired to =12 volts, then hook every two in series. Then all eight will =48 volts.

This may allow for faster cable connections when you want to charge them. (as I have always charge all of my batteries at the same time wired to = 12 volts). Also, you will have a longer charge if you hit one pump a lot more than the other.  

You will also have only one ground for a quick disconnect for both pumps.

I really can't think of any reason not to wire it like this. Just make sure you run your ground and final hot cables at each of the far end batteries.

The other way of four and four would work fine too, but I like to think about stream lining things for any future situations.

Yes, you are right about: "every 6 charges or so, swap batt number 1 and 4 in each bank with batts 2 and 3 in each bank".  

LowriderUK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2004, 10:52:36 PM »

Ummm, like this?

Sorry if the diagram makes no sense, my previous install was in car when I bought it and only had two batts!

Would you have to disconnect the serial connections between each paired battery set to charge at 12v? Why not just use a 48v charger?

[/font]

Hydros
Administrator
Expert Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2004, 12:06:47 AM »

More like this:

* 8_48vdc.jpg (24.16 KB, 600x393 - viewed 274 times.)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 10:28:09 PM by Hydros » Logged

Hydros
Administrator
Expert Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2004, 12:19:37 AM »

a 48 VDC charger will work.  a 24 VDC would be a another choice. A36 VDC would also work, but I would not use it. And a 12 VDC will always work.

I thought I heard of some 18VDC batteries coming out, then a 36 VDC might be an option.

LowriderUK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2004, 07:17:18 AM »

So how can I charge all of the batteries at once with a 12v charger on a 48v circuit? So I just connect the +'ve to one end and the -'ve to the other, the same as with a 48v charger?

[/font]

Hydros
Administrator
Expert Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2004, 08:31:17 PM »

To charge the batteries with a 12 VDC charger, you'll need to hook all the batteries up to = 12 VDC

This is done by connecting all of the positives posts together, and then connecting all the negitive posts to each other. Then connect your charger cables to each of the far end batteries.  

The thing to remember most of all is that your batteries must be connected to each other to = the volts of the charger.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2004, 08:33:10 PM by Hydros » Logged

LowriderUK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2004, 10:49:08 PM »

So therefore it would be 'easier' to charge with a 48v charger (in the case of the above setup), coz you wouldn't need to 'faff' about changing battery connections, just the -'ve to ground and the +'ve to the battery post feeding the two pumps.

Explain to me again the benefit of the 'parellel/series/parallel' setup above, rather than having two seperate banks connected all in series to give 48v?

Sorry, but I if I didn't ask, what would be the point of the forum, eh!  Cheesy  

[/font]

Hydros
Administrator
Expert Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2004, 02:12:34 AM »

Yes it would be easier to use a 48 volt charger if you had your pumps only and always wired to = the same

The reason I suggest using the 'parellel/series/parallel' setup above, rather than having two seperate banks connected all in series to give 48v, is something like this: It's like having four large amp batteries. Something like 2000 amps for each 12 volts.  Plenty of reserve, plenty of power, plus, it seems they would all get used evenly too.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2004, 02:18:51 AM by Hydros » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: